Friday, February 7, 2014

Simple but powerful: the HDMI cable

This post is a bit technical, so I will start with what HDMI stands for.
HDMI definition: High-Definition Multimedia Interface
Ok, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s get to what it does.
Having an HDMI cable can save you A LOT of money. Yes, a lot of money, so keep on reading...

You don’t need to pay hundreds of dollars for unnecessary cable channels for your TV.
In reality, you stream most of your favourite TV shows or movies online, whether it is through YouTube, Netflix or another site of your preference (YARGHHH!).

The HDMI cable will transfer your uncompressed video and digital audio data to your digital television or video projector.
What this means is that with this cable you can stream anything online from your computer or laptop and display it on your TV. Say goodbye to paying extra to you TV provider.

Ever wondered what this opening on your laptop was for? 
Now you know!

They are really cheap.
To give you an example, you can get the Dynex Direct 0.9m (3 ft.) HDMI Cable (VB-HD03) f
or $3.95 at Best Buy.



Don’t think that expensive cables will have a better quality because they all perform the same end result. Your picture or audio quality won't change.
All HDMI cables are made out of the same components: the cable and the connection.

The cable passes whatever data you give it and the connection is where all the features are.
To read further details on specifications, click here.

The TL;DR:
 

What it does:

The low-priced HDMI cable displays anything from your laptop or computer to your TV.

Where do you get it:

At your favourite electronic retailer, such as Best Buy.

3 comments:

  1. I always think the ends of the HDMI cables look like kids drawing of houses. I would also suggest you buy the right length of cable ...they do come in different meter lengths and all work fantastically well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly love my HDMI cable! I just got it for christmas and it has changed the way I watch my programs. If you have a Netflix account and a decent internet plan, there is no need to pay for cable in my opinion, although I do miss watching Ellen when it airs lol. Great post Jane. Its good to make people aware that not only is this device convenient but it can save you $$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  3. HDMI cables are great. Unfortunately my computer is a little older and does not have an HDMI port, but my brother has one and it's so useful. And the fact that they are cheap is an added bonus! I will be purchasing an HDMI cable the minute I purchase a new laptop!

    ReplyDelete